Saturday, February 11, 2017

My Writing Environment



We all have a writing environment, even if you don't know it. Each of us have different things that we do, and preferred surroundings that help us write. Today, I am going to tell you about my own writing environment, so I'm just going to jump right in head first.


What I Have With Me

Apparently, some of you need to have certain pens, notebooks, clothing, etc., but I don't. I prefer to have everything I'm going to need, or will probably need, for at least the next two hours, before I sit down (once I sit down, it's not likely that I'll move for quite a while). When I sit down, I spend about five minutes checking to make sure that I have everything. Laptop, notebook(s), writing utensils (usually pens), earbuds, sticky notes, books I'm currently reading, and coffee (which is a must). Some of you may be thinking, "Wait, where's the food?" The answer to that is, I can't have food when I'm writing. It's like a distraction for me. I'm still trying to figure out why, but I'll let you know when I do. :P

Fun Fact: Eating dark chocolate every day helps reduce stress. :)

Surroundings/Conditions

I get distracted easily. So I prefer to be in a place that is at least somewhat quiet. Having loud, active younger siblings doesn't help. I only have one, but the dog mind as well make it two. :P I also seem to write better when it is rainy, snowy, stormy, or gloomy outside. And, I can make it rain if I want to. You don't believe me? I'm hurt. :( I can teach you if you want to be able to make it rain to. Yes? Okay, this is how I do it.

Music

Oh, yes, I listen to music while I write. Always have. One of the reasons I listen to music is to block out noise that will be distracting. Some people can't listen to music with lyrics while writing. I don't have a problem with that, although it does take a minute for the music to become background music. Like when you're in a store and they have music playing. You are aware/know that it's playing, but you aren't paying any attention to it. And, if I know that I have an emotional scene coming up, I may switch the song to something slower, something that's not upbeat. (I don't listen to many upbeat songs, so most of the time, I don't have to switch it.)

Location

I'm almost always either in the living room or my bedroom when I'm writing. In both places, I have a spot on the floor that I really like that gives me a lot of room. When I'm in my bedroom, I write by hand, and if I'm in the living room, I type, using my laptop. It's weird/strange, I know. :P Some people like to go to coffee shops to write. I have a very hard time writing in public places (libraries count), mostly because there are way to many people I don't know or trust. So I'm never going to be able to fully concentrate, since I'm watching everybody.



So that's my writing environment. Just one more thing before I end this. Last week I told you that I would try to get snippets up on my writings page. Well, I got one on there. And so you know, I probably won't get snippets up for "The Barrier" until after I do the first round of edits (right now it's kind of a mess).


What about you? What's your writing environment like? Do you have quirks of your own?

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I have found another writer who can listen to music with lyrics while writing! (I do Hillsong, then switch to movie scores for battle scenes XD)

    Usually, as long as I have my laptop, my Ipod, some headphones, a notebook (but only with a pencil. no pens), and my Bible somewhere in the room, I'm good. Though I occasionally have to run and find a random sticky note or something ;-)

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Yay! :D (Hillsong is good. *nods*)

      You're a lot like me then! :P :)

      Delete
  2. I looove music with words! Do you use Spotify?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't use Spotify. I've heard of it but I've never used it. Recently, I've been using youtube a bit. But I use my phone. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, you're writing environment sounds cool. :) I spend a lot of time writing on the floor too. On weekdays, I typically write in the lobby of my church on the floor, sort of hidden by a potted plant. It gives me plenty of room to observe people and spread out my stuff, plus there's a handy dandy plug for my laptop. I typically don't listen to music at the church, but I do when I'm writing at coffee shops. (Spotify is really great.) But I'm also super paranoid about people looking over my shoulder, so I try to either get a secluded booth, or just turn the brightness on my screen way down/make the type really small and hard to read. Or I just give people death glares if they stand too close. :P At home, though, I'll either use the desk or my bed. :) I tried writing outside on the porch swing, but the cat ended up taking a nap on the keyboard, so that wasn't super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes, I get paranoid about that to, which is one of the reasons I don't like writing in public places. :P Death glares are always a good way to get people to leave you alone. *nods* I did try writing outside a couple times. I don't suggest using paper, because I have found that it just blows around. :P

      Delete